RSS Feed to Wordpress Blog

Search Amazon

Monday, August 07, 2006

NIV Archeological Study Bible




A couple of months ago I ordered this New International Version Archeological Study Bible (published by Zondervan) to fulfill an order requirement that comes with a membership to Crossings (Christian Books & Gifts). Now I certainly was not in need of a another Bible as I have over 20. I didn't need another NIV either because I already have 4 of them. But there was something about this particular NIV. It was the scholarship behind it.

I read that Dr. Walter C. Kaiser, Jr. was the editor of the project and this peaked my interest. After having seen him on the John Ankerburg Show debating the topic of creation with the guys from AnswersinGenesis.com, I immediately respected the man. Although I didn't agree with his view of creation (day/age theory) his character spoke volumes and his scholarship was sound. I did an internet search on him and came across this information:

Dr. Walter C. Kaiser, Jr. is the Colman M. Mockler distinguished Professor of Old Testament and President of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in South Hamilton, Massachusetts. Dr. Kaiser received his A.B. from Wheaton College and a B.D. from Wheaton Graduate School. He has earned both a M.A. and a Ph.D. in Mediterranean studies from Brandeis University. A recipient of the Danforth Teacher Study Grant, Dr. Kaiser is a member of the Wheaton College Scholastic Honor Society.

In any event, I haven't been disappointed with the Bible. There are tons of articles on ancient culture, customs, language, etc... As well as maps, charts, and the like to aid the reader in their understanding of the geography of the Bible. Articles concerning archeological and historical background of the Bible abound.

All in all, this is one of the best Bibles I own. It certainly helps us to understand the scriptures as the original readers would have understood them. This is important in our present age of anachronism. I would highly recommend this Bible to any and all seekers of knowledge concerning the culture of the Bible. I'd give it 10 thumbs up but I only have 2.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that they include a CD-Rom with the NIV text of the Bible as well as photgraphs, charts, and maps that can be found in the Bible. A convenient little bonus.

Purchase the NIV Archeological Study Bible from:

Amazon.com for $31.49

or