RSS Feed to Wordpress Blog

Search Amazon

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Gene Cook Strikes Again... or umm... Gets struck...

I listened to Gene Cook, Jr. again the other night and a recorded telephone conversation that he had with a Jehovah's Witness. I don't know why, but he let this guy push him around all over the place. The man kept talking over Cook, telling Cook how wrong he was, and Cook was just taking it... But not in the 'I'm just being as humble as I can be without flipping out' kid of way... Rather he was just letting this guy bully him around. I can't call it...
The JW was representing as if he understood Greek which was clear to someone with even an elementary understanding of the language (like myself) that he did not... His big argument was that the Greek word for 'spirit' is in the neuter gender so the Holy Spirit cannot be a 'he' but HAS to be an 'it' -- Did Cook contest this? Not really... He just said, well the Holy Spirit has a will... And I will give credit where credit is due... he showed that the Holy Spirit did have a will and the JW went into denial mode...
But Cook missed that the JW admitted that the gender of a noun has NOTHING to do with its identity... He refuted his own position and Cook failed to capitalize... The JW also neglected the fact that the masculine pronoun 'ekeinos' (he) is applied to the Holy Spirit twice in John's gospel (15:26; 16:13) -- It seemed that neither the JW nor Cook was aware of this information... And what of 'moi' (me) in Acts 13:2 where the Holy Spirit is speaking?
And what frustrated me more than anything... Cook was allowing the JW to tell him (i.e. Cook) what he (i.e. Cook) believed and said... Shouldn't Gene have known his own thoughts and words? I just can't believe that a man who has pastored a church for the last 8 or 9 years could be so weak apologetically... I genuinely feel sorry for his flock as they can't possibly be receiving the weaponry necessary to survive on the apologetic battle field... At least not from their pastor...
It is my sincere prayer that Cook takes the time to attend seminary or at least some correspondance courses to help equip him for the tasks that he takes up... And he has some very knowledgable friends (James White being one of them) who can give him at least the basics in refuting these cultists and heretics...
So far I've heard Cook 3 times and so far he is 0 for 3... Lord willing when I hear #4 he'll fair better...